Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
54 King Street
The James Brown House
The handsome two-tiered Regency style piazzas and entry door surround were added between 1810 and 1830 by the Lehre' or Gantt families, who owned the house during this period. During the 1860s, the house was owned as an investment by George A. Trenholm, a merchant. Trenholm served as Secretary of the Treasury for the Confederate States of America from July 1864 to April 1865, and also was engaged in blockade running during the Civil War.
Erected 1996 by The Preservation Society of Charleston.
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Preservation Society of Charleston marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 54 King Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edgar Wells House (a few steps from this marker); John McKee House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Samuel Wainwright House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dewar-Lee-Pringle House (about 300 feet away); The Landscape of the Enslaved (about 400 feet away); Colonel John Stuart House (about 400 feet away); Black and White Worlds: (about 400 feet away); 72-74 Tradd Street (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Also see . . . Charleston County Public Library. The "Grand Modell of Charles Town" included the lower peninsula city of Charleston up to present-day Beaufain Street. The peninsular area north of the town, from an early period, was called Charles Town Neck, and later Charleston Neck. As the town grew, it continued to be applied always to the area beyond the city limits. The early city directories reserved a separate section for residents of The Neck. (Submitted on October 5, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 423 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 6, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.