Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Casper Christian Schutt House
51 Easy Bay Street
—Constructed 1800-1802 —
This large, three and one-half story masonry single house was constructed circa 1800-1802 by Caspar Christian Schutt, a Charleston merchant of German descent. As was the custom of the day, he operated his business activities on the first floor and used the upper floors as his residence.
The exterior features a hipped roof and dormers, a dentil brick cornice, with stucco over brick, except for the north facade which is brick in the Flemish bond pattern. The deep lot also holds several of the original structures, including a kitchen house, carriage house, servants’ quarters and stables.
The house is noted for its Adam style interior with elaborate decorative plaster molding, and is distinguished by an elegant curved elliptical stair that ascends to the third floor.
In 1821 the property was purchased by John Fraser, a partner in the cotton export firm of Fraser, Trenholm and Company. During the Civil War the company ran a fleet of blockade runners that brought in supplies to aid the Confederate war effort.
Charles T. Lowndes, a wealthy merchant, purchased the property in 1836 and it remained in the Lowndes family until 1930. His son, Rawlins Lowndes, a rice planter and Confederate captain, inherited the house in 1886. His wife, Sarah Buchanan Preston, affectionately known as “Buck,”
During the Lowndes family ownership, the property was enhanced and enlarged from its original design. The adjacent lot was purchased and the building on it demolished in order to create a formal garden. In addition, the existing three tiered piazzas were constructed, distinguished by graduating orders of Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian columns and turned balusters.
Erected 2007 by Preservation Society of Charleston.
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Preservation Society of Charleston marker series.
Location. 32° 46.433′ N, 79° 55.633′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on East Bay Street (U.S. 52), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 51 East Bay Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Search of the Walled City (within shouting distance of this marker); Section of parapet, or upper portion of the wall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Walled City of Charles Town (within shouting distance of this marker); The Site of Granville Bastion (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Smith (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Seizure of the Planter (about 300 feet away); 8-10 Tradd Street (about 500 feet away); 6 Water Street - Francis Saltus House (about 500 feet away); 90 East Bay Street Ancrum Wharf Building (about 500 feet away); Thomas Rose's House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 552 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 7, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.