Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of the First Methodist Church
The church had seperate seating for white, free black, and enslaved African members. The early Methodists were persecuted for their stand against slavery. Cumberland Street Church was enlarged in 1806 but destroyed in the Charleston fire of 1838. Rebuilt of brick, it was destroyed a second time in the Great Fire of 1861. In 1874 the congregation united with Trinity Methodist Church (then located on Hasell Street) and this property was sold.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
Location. 32° 46.78′ N, 79° 55.801′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Cumberland Street, on the Touch for map. Located opposite 85 Cumberland Street, and The Powder Magizine, at the parking garage. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Revolutionary Artillery (a few steps from this marker); The Old Powder Magazine (a few steps from this marker); The Nicholas Trott House (a few steps from this marker); Trott's Cottage (a few steps from this marker); Powder Magazine Flags (within shouting distance of this marker); The Two Cannons (within shouting distance of this marker); Richard Hutson (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel William Rhett (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Regarding Site of the First Methodist Church. -- Site of the Blue Meeting House, the first Methodist church in the city. Built in 1787 the church was later named the Cumberland Church, taking it's name from the street.
(Legerton, Historic Churches, 42. )
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 335 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 8, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.