Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport in Newport County, Rhode Island — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Hunter House

 
 
Hunter House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, October 8, 2011
1. Hunter House Marker
Inscription.
has been designated a
Registered National
Historic Landmark

Under the provisions of the
Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935
this site possesses exceptional value
in commemorating and illustrating
the history of the United States

U.S. Department of the Interior
National Park Service
1968

 
Erected 1968 by National Park Service.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
 
Location. 41° 29.552′ N, 71° 19.255′ W. Marker is in Newport, Rhode Island, in Newport County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and Elm Street, on the right when traveling south on Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 54 Washington Street, Newport RI 02840, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Captain John Warren House (within shouting distance of this marker); Tom Robinson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Mary Ferrazzali Park (approx. mile away); Newport Historic District (approx. mile away); James Nicholl House
Hunter House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, October 8, 2011
2. Hunter House Marker
The marker can be seen here to the right of the doorway.
(approx. 0.3 miles away); The Tree of Liberty (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rhode Island Marine Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); White Horse Tavern (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport.
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsWar, US Revolutionary
 
West Side of the Hunter House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, October 8, 2011
3. West Side of the Hunter House
Built in 1748, this house was the headquarters of French Admiral Charles Louis d'Arsac de Ternay during the Revolutionary War.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 425 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 9, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement