Newport in Newport County, Rhode Island — The American Northeast (New England)
The Tree of Liberty
William Ellery Park
To commemorate the repeal of the Stamp Act in March 1766, William Read deeded a small triangle of land at this site where grew the original Tree of Liberty, to William Ellery and others in trust. This tree was cut down by British occupation forces soon after their arrival on December 6, 1776.
A new tree was planted in April, 1783 by a group of thirteen citizens named on a copper plate placed on the tree in 1823 which is now in the Newport Historical Society Museum.
The present tree was planted in 1897 and rededicated in 1919 when Henrietta C. Ellery deeded this park to the city.
This memorial placed by the Rhode Island Society, Sons of the Revolution, to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the Tree of Liberty.
Erected 1966 by Sons of the Revolution - Rhode Island Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Historic Trees marker series.
Location. 41° 29.615′ N, 71° 18.929′ W. Marker is in Newport, Rhode Island, in Newport County. Marker is at the intersection of Poplar Street and Thames Street, on the right when traveling east on Poplar Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport RI 02840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Newport Historic District (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Nicholl House (about 400 feet away); Oliver Hazard Perry (approx. 0.2 miles away); White Horse Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Great Friends Meeting House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Militia Common (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Colony House / The State House (approx. ¼ mile away); Perry (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport.
Categories. • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 730 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 10, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.