Newport in Newport County, Rhode Island — The American Northeast (New England)
This piece of land was given to the town of Newport by Major Nathaniel Sheffield and Mr. Daniel Thurston as common land to be used as a mustering place for the militia.
This marker dedicated by the Artillery
Company of Newport on their 250th year of continuous service.
1741 ----- 1991
Erected 1991 by Artillery Company of Newport.
Location. 41° 29.471′ N, 71° 18.82′ W. Marker is in Newport, Rhode Island, in Newport County. Marker is at the intersection of Marlborough Street and Meeting Street, on the right when traveling east on Marlborough Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport RI 02840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. White Horse Tavern (a few steps from this marker); Great Friends Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Colony House / The State House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old State House (about 400 feet away); The Colony House (about 400 feet away); Washington Square (about 400 feet away); Eisenhower Park (about 400 feet away); Perry (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport.
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 509 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 10, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.