Bloomington in Monroe County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Monroe County Courthouse
County formed by Indiana General Assembly and Bloomington selected as county seat 1818. One-story, two-room log cabin built 1818 as first courthouse and school. Second courthouse, built here 1819-1826, was two stories, brick with stone foundation; expanded 1856-1857, 1875; demolished 1906 for construction of new courthouse.
Present courthouse completed 1908; designed by Wing and Mahurin of Fort Wayne in Beaux Arts style; built of locally quarried limestone. Features original fish-shaped weather vane from 1826 courthouse, carved classical figures, Ionic and Egyptian columns, stained glass; completely restored 1983-1984. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1976."
Erected 2001 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Monroe County Government. (Marker Number 53.2001.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 10.01′ N, 86° 32.052′ W. Marker is in Bloomington, Indiana, in Monroe County. Marker is on West Kirkwood Avenue west of Walnut Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located at the South Entrance of the Monroe County Courthouse
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Monroe County W.W. II Honor Roll (a few steps from this marker); Civil War Memorial Cannon (a few steps from this marker); G.A.R. Soldiers of All Wars Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Monroe County / Bloomington World War II Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Monroe County's Carnegie Library (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Colored School (about 700 feet away); State Seminary of Indiana (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bloomington.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 406 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 10, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. 5, 6. submitted on October 21, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. 7. submitted on October 10, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.