Cuthbert in Randolph County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Andrew Female College
This college has been a great source of supply for school teachers in Southwest Georgia. During the War Between the States the buildings were used for a Confederate hospital.
In 1892, the college was destroyed by fire and more modern buildings were erected.
Erected 1983 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 120-2A.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 46.267′ N, 84° 47.367′ W. Marker is in Cuthbert, Georgia, in Randolph County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street/Blakely Street (Old U.S. 27) and College Street/Broad Street (U.S. 82), in the median on Court Street/Blakely Street. Touch for map. The marker stands in the town square n the center of Cuthbert. (Both Old US 27 and US 82 change street names at this point.). Marker is in this post office area: Cuthbert GA 39840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least Site of First Randolph County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Carnegie Library (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frederick Davis Patterson, M.D. / Patterson Hospital (about 500 feet away); Randolph County (about 600 feet away); Site of First Church Building in Cuthbert, Georgia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Shady Grove (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Dead and Hospitals (approx. ¼ mile away); Mother of Georgia's Pecan Industry (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuthbert.
Categories. • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 12, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 279 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 12, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.