Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Unitarian Church in Charleston
One of the oldest
in the United States
the oldest one in
Location. 32° 46.71′ N, 79° 55.985′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on King Street near Gateway Walk, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located between Clifford Street and Jacobs Alley. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Electrical Engineering Milestone (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Quaker Cemetery (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named The Unitarian Church in Charleston (about 400 feet away); St. John's Church (about 500 feet away); Charleston Gas Light Company (about 500 feet away); Philip Porcher House (about 500 feet away); Institute Hall / "The Union Is Dissolved!" (about 600 feet away); Ordinance of Secession (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Regarding The Unitarian Church in Charleston. Listed in the National Register November 7, 1973; Designated a National Historic Landmark
Also see . . . Unitarian Church in Charleston history. Construction of the new church was nearly complete when the Revolutionary War broke out in 1776, and American militia, sent to protect the city, used the church for a barracks and destroyed the pews. In 1780, the British occupied Charleston and continued using the church to quarter troops, further damaging the interior. After the war ended and prosperity returned, the Archdale Street church was repaired and was formally dedicated in 1787. (Submitted on October 13, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 13, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 336 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 13, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.