Town of Farmington in Washington County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Saxonia House was erected by Ernst Klessig, a brewer, who also built an adjacent brewery. The aging “cellar,” a large cave dug into a small hill with a huge stone entrance arch, still exists south of the house.
The Town of Farmington Turn-Verein Association, later called Turners, was organized here and held meetings in the building until 1867. Saxonia House also housed the local Post Office for several years.
Washington County, Wisconsin
Erected 2000 by Washington County Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 99-001.)
Location. 43° 29.884′ N, 88° 3.399′ W. Marker is in Town of Farmington, Wisconsin, in Washington County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 421 CTH H, Fredonia WI 53021, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Boltonville Mill (approx. 3 miles away); Boltonville Church (approx. 3 miles away); St. Peter's Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Robert Cooley Homestead (approx. 3.7 miles away); Birthplace of Flag Day (approx. 4 miles away); Theodore Rietz Distillery (approx. 4.4 miles away); Lizard Mound Park (approx. 4.8 miles away); Lizard Mound Co. Park (was approx. 4.8 miles away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Town of Farmington.
Also see . . . Friends of the Saxonia House. (Submitted on October 19, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 13, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 451 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 13, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.