Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New London in New London County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

The Barracks

 
 
The Barracks Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, October 9, 2011
1. The Barracks Marker
Inscription.
This building housed army enlisted men serving in the artillery or infantry from the 1830s until Fort Trumbull was downgraded to a supply post, in 1907. Built of rough-cut granite, the original stone section dates from about 1830, the same year that the army built the officers’ quarters (now the visitors’ center). An observer wrote at the time, “The soldiers’ barracks are the best I have ever seen in the United States.” The wooden section, which no longer exists, was probably added in the 1840s.

In 1910 Fort Trumbull found a new use as a training school for the Revenue Cutter Service, the bureau that enforced treaties and tariffs on the seas. The school set up classrooms and a drill hall in the wooden portion of this building and partitioned the stone section to accommodate two cadets to a room. Congress merged the Revenue Cutter Service and the Life Saving Service in 1915 to form the U.S. Coast Guard, and the school became the Coast Guard Academy.

The Coast Guard found this nineteenth-century structure outdated as living quarters and eventually built new multistory barracks for the cadets. The academy then converted this building to a library and added the curved double staircase that remains today.

The building was used primarily as offices after the Coast Guard Academy moved to its present location
The Barracks Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, October 9, 2011
2. The Barracks Marker
up the Thames River, in 1932. New stone construction replaced the wooden section in 2000. The original nineteenth-century stone building still stands to the left of this sign.
 
Erected by Fort Trumbull State Park.
 
Location. 41° 20.648′ N, 72° 5.654′ W. Marker is in New London, Connecticut, in New London County. Marker can be reached from East Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located in Fort Trumbull State Park. Marker is in this post office area: New London CT 06320, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Parade Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); Site Orientation (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Trumbull (within shouting distance of this marker); Blockhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); North Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); Cold War (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Scientific Research (about 300 feet away); Fort Interiors (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New London.
 
More about this marker. Photos of the exterior and the interior of the barracks building appear at the bottom of the marker. The exterior picture has a caption of “This
The Barracks Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, October 9, 2011
3. The Barracks Marker
The 1830 stone section of the barracks with the curved double staircase can be seen here on the left.
view of the barracks in 1898 shows a simple staircase leading to the entry of the stone half of the building. The wooden section had board and batten siding, which consisted of vertical boards in two widths.” The other picture has a caption of “This 1898 interior photo shows the orderly and utilitarian atmosphere of army life, with iron beds lined up in rows along the walls. A rack for rifles stands in the middle of the room. The stove in the foreground provided heat.”
 
Also see . . .  History of Fort Trumbull. Friends of Fort Trumbull website. (Submitted on October 14, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. Forts, Castles
 
The Barracks at Fort Trumbull image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, October 9, 2011
4. The Barracks at Fort Trumbull
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 327 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 14, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement