Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
With recovery following the Great Fire of 1869, the City also invested in civic improvements: a new cemetery (1880-1882); an electric plant and system (1891-1928); its own public school system (1895-1947); and a public waterworks system (1908). The City Hall & Firehouse (1887) replaced the former Town Hall, irreparably damaged by the 1886 Charleston earthquake.
When the 1939 City Hall & Firestation made the previous building obsolete, a period of commercial use was followed by the eventual restoration of the building in 1991 by the Madison-Morgan Chamber of Commerce Foundation, Inc. Chamber officer include the Madison Convention & Visitors Bureau, which operates a State Welcome Center.
Erected 2011 by City of Madison, Madison BiCentennial Commission 1809-2009.
Location. 33° 35.75′ N, 83° 28.017′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia, in Morgan Touch for map. The marker stands in front of the Madison Convention & Visitors Bureau. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 East Jefferson Street, Madison GA 30650, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Tappan Thompson (a few steps from this marker); In Memory of the Boys from Morgan County, Georgia (within shouting distance of this marker); Oliver Hardy, Genius of Comedy (within shouting distance of this marker); Morgan County (within shouting distance of this marker); The Town Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Banking Institutions (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lodging Establishments (about 300 feet away); Madison (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 331 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 14, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.