Near Louisa in Louisa County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Fifty yards east is the site of Netherland Tavern (ca. 1822), which was demolished in the 1950s. The tavern served travelers on the Fredericksburg Stage Road and the Louisa Court House Road to the south. It also served rail passengers after the Virginia Central Railroad started operating in the 1850s. During the Civil War, Netherland Tavern became a center of military activity as the conflict entered its final year.
In June 1864, Union Gen. Ulysses S. Grant ordered Gen. Philip H. Sheridan to lead two cavalry divisions west from Cold Harbor in Hanover County, destroy Virginia Central Railroad track, unite his force with Gen. David Hunter's infantry at Charlottesville, and return with him to the main army. Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee, learning of Sheridan's departure on June 7, dispatched divisions of Gens. Wade Hampton and Fitzhugh Lee in pursuit.
Hampton, commanding the expedition, made his headquarters here at the tavern on the evening of June 10 and spent the night sleeping on a carpenter's bench outside the front door. Sheridan, to the north, reached Clayton's Store (present-day Oakland) the same night, and only a few miles separated the two forces. At dawn on June 11, Hampton was awakened by two of his subordinates, Gens. Matthew C. Butler and Thomas L. Rosser. When Rosser
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 3.1′ N, 78° 3.502′ W. Marker is near Louisa, Virginia, in Louisa County. Marker is on Oakland Road (County Route 613), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located in front of the Netherland's Tavern and Civil War Museum, stop six on the driving tour of Trevilian Station Battlefield. Marker is in this post office area: Louisa VA 23093, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Custer Rescued (approx. 0.9 miles away); Custer's First Last Stand (approx. 0.9 miles away); Trevilian Station Battle (approx. 0.9 miles away); Battle of Trevillians (approx. one mile away); Battle of Trevilians (approx. one mile away); Ogg Farm (approx. 2.2 miles away); Bibb's Crossroads (approx. 2.5 miles away); First Contact (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisa.
More about this marker. On the left side of the marker is a "post-war photograph of Netherland Tavern." On the right is a portrait of Gen.
Regarding Netherland Tavern. This is one of several markers interpreting the Battle of Trevilian Station, June 11-12, 1864. See the Battle of Trevilian Station Virtual Tour by Markers linked below for additional related markers.
Also see . . .
1. Trevilian Station Battlefield Foundation. The foundation has worked to preserve the remaining sections of the battlefield. A detailed self-guided driving tour of the battlefield is offered. This marker is at stop six of the tour. (Submitted on January 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Battle of Trevilian Station. National Park Service summary of the battle. (Submitted on January 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. Battle of Trevilian Station Virtual Tour by Markers. A set markers that document the Battle of Trevilian Station, June 11-12, 1864. The order of appearance is generally aligned to the National Parks Service and Trevilian Station Foundation driving tours. (Submitted on January 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
4. Trevilian Station Preservation Efforts. Civil War Preservation Trust continues efforts to set aside portions of the battlefield. Their site discussing the effort offers a wealth of background information about (Submitted on November 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,534 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.