Ashland in Ashland County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Academy was to be co-educational, to have a program of classical studies, to train both mind and character, and to be geared to the resources of the pioneer families it was intended to serve.
The laying of the cornerstone of the Academy Building on July 14, 1892, was an historic moment marking the advance of educational and cultural opportunities into northern Wisconsin.
In 1906 the Academy expanded its program to become Northland College, an on March 7, 1907, the Academy Building was renamed Wheeler Hall, a tribute to the Rev. E. P. Wheeler, the first president of the Academy.
This building, diagonally across from this site, is a landmark of progress to area citizens and a revered spot to every student who ever attended the Academy or College.
Erected 1976 by Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 224.)
Marker series. Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 46° 34.828′ N, 90° 52.367′ W. Marker is in Ashland, Wisconsin, in Ashland County. Marker is on Ellis Avenue (State Highway 13) north of 16th Street east, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1411 Ellis Avenue, Ashland WI 54806, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Doctor Edwin Ellis (approx. one mile away); Schooner Lucerne (approx. 1.5 miles away); Fleet Admiral William D. Leahy (approx. 1.6 miles away); Radisson-Groseilliers Fort (approx. 2.2 miles away); Washburn Historic Waterfront (approx. 6.1 miles away); Washburn Lumbering Days / The Hines Lumber Company (approx. 6.1 miles away); The Sprague Well (approx. 6.2 miles away); Bank of Washburn (approx. 6.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ashland.
Also see . . . Northland College. (Submitted on October 20, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 17, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 549 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 17, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.