Near Louisa in Louisa County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
After riding across Virginia for three days on a raid to destroy parts of the Virginia Central Railroad, Gen. Philip H. Sheridan's 9,300 cavalrymen and horse artillerists crossed the North Anna River at Carpenter's Ford about two miles north and camped here the night of June 10, 1864. The house at the intersection just north marks the approximate location of Clayton's Store, Sheridan's headquarters. Although Sheridan knew Confederate forces were in the area, he had no idea that two divisions of cavalry, commanded by Gen. Wade Hampton, had camped nearby
Gen. Wesley Merritt's brigade bivouacked south along the Marquis Road (Rte. 669), with Merritt's headquarters at the Buck Chiles farm. Gen. George A. Custer's camps were farther south toward Louisa Court House, while Col. Thomas C. Devin encamped his brigade on the Woolfolk Farm on the Fredericksburg Road (Rte. 613).
Sheridan planned to continue to Gordonsville and Cobham Station on the Virginia Central Railroad the next day. Merritt's and Devin's brigades, along with Sheridan's wagon train, followed by Gen. David M. Gregg's division, would move down the Fredericksburg Road toward Trevilian Station. Custer's brigade would take the Nunn's Creek Road to the Gordonsville Road, turn west onto the Gordonsville Road, and rejoin the rest
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 5.698′ N, 77° 59.903′ W. Marker is near Louisa, Virginia, in Louisa County. Marker is at the intersection of Ellisville Drive (County Route 669) and Oakland Road (County Route 613), on the right when traveling north on Ellisville Drive. Touch for map. Located at pull off at the intersection, stop three on the self guided driving tour of the battlefield. Marker is in this post office area: Louisa VA 23093, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bibb's Crossroads (approx. 2.8 miles away); First Contact (approx. 3.6 miles away); Netherland Tavern (approx. 4.4 miles away); Oakland Cemetery (approx. 4.6 miles away); Decisive Confederate Victory (approx. 4.6 miles away); Hugh Hammond Bennett (1881-1960) (approx. 4.8 miles away); Patrick Henry's Home (approx. 4.9 miles away); Louisa Court House (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisa.
More about this marker.
Regarding Clayton's Store. This is one of several markers interpreting the Battle of Trevilian Station, June 11-12, 1864. See the Battle of Trevilian Station Virtual Tour by Markers linked below for additional related markers.
Also see . . .
1. Trevilian Station Battlefield Foundation. The foundation has worked to preserve the remaining sections of the battlefield. A detailed self-guided driving tour of the battlefield is offered. This marker is at stop three of the tour. (Submitted on January 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Battle of Trevilian Station. National Park Service summary of the battle. (Submitted on January 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. Battle of Trevilian Station Virtual Tour by Markers. A set markers that document the Battle of Trevilian Station, June 11-12, 1864. The order of appearance is generally aligned to the National Parks Service and Trevilian Station Foundation driving tours. (Submitted on January 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
4. Trevilian Station Preservation Efforts. Civil (Submitted on November 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,778 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4, 5. submitted on January 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.