Colonial Heights, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
At noon on May 9, the 63rd Tennessee Infantry occupied hastily dug rifle pits here as part of the Confederate reserve. When Union skirmishers advanced to a fence line about 600 yards from Ellerslie, two Tennessee companies pushed them back. During the night, the Confederates drove a Federal gun from the bank of Swift Creek. The Federals retreated to their camps at Point of Rocks the next morning.
Federal operations then shifted toward Richmond and culminated in the Battle of Drewry’s Bluff on May 16. Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard established his headquarters here and kept them intermittently through June. On September 2, Hagood’s South Carolina brigade established a rest camp at Ellerslie and remained here until September 28.
On the night of April 2, 1865, fires and explosions illuminated Ellerslie as commissary supplies
Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard was born on Contreras Plantation near New Orleans to a Creole family on May 28, 1818. He graduated from the U.S. Military Acadamy at West Point in 1838 and was wounded in the Mexican War. He was superintendent at West Point in 1861 and resigned his commission to join the Confederacy. He gave the command to fire on Fort Sumter in Charleston, S.C.—the first shot of the war. He became a Southern hero for the Confederate victory in the First Battle of Manassas. In Charleston in 1864, he authorized CSA H.L. Hunley to make the first attack by a submarine. He defeated Union Gen. Benjamin F. Butler in the Bermuda Hundred Campaign in Virginia in 1864. Beauregard defended Petersburg with 2,000 men against 16,000 Federals until Gen. Robert E. Lee arrived with the Army of Northern Virginia. After the war, Beauregard returned to New Orleans, assisted freed slaves, and declined offers to command foreign armies. He served as a railroad president and in Louisiana government posts. He died in New Orleans on Feb. 20, 1893, and was buried there.
Robert Young, a Belfast architect, designed Ellerslie in 1856 as a castellated mansion for tobacco magnate David Dunlop. Dunlop’s grandson engaged
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 37° 16.226′ N, 77° 24.242′ W. Marker is in Colonial Heights, Virginia. Marker is on Longhorn Drive 0.1 miles north of Ellerslie Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Colonial Heights VA 23834, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Ellerslie (here, next to this marker); Dunlop's Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dunlop Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Electric Railway (approx. ¾ mile away); "Brave to Madness" (approx. one mile away); Battle of Swift Creek (approx. one mile away); Union Army Checked (approx. 1.2 miles away); Swift Creek Battlefield: A Landscape of Change (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Colonial Heights.
Also see . . .
1. A Brief History of Ellerslie. City (Submitted on October 17, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Ellerslie (pdf file). National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on October 17, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 17, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,238 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 17, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 6. submitted on September 11, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.