Petersburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Petersburg’s Role In Trade
Petersburg, formerly Fort Henry, was a bustling trade center from its founding in the 17th century due to the good trails and roads along the Fall Zone into central and western North Carolina, and a navigable canal just above the harbor leading west. The Appomattox remained open to relatively shallow draft sailing vessels, barges, and flatboats: the railroads had taken over much of the shipment of goods formerly carried by ships. The “Peter Jones Trading Station” had been an important part of Petersburg’s trade and commerce in the mid-to-late 1600’s, for it
One of the structures in the trading operations was the “Old Stone Lumberhouse” to your front. This structure variously served as a headquarters for trade with western settlers, Indian tribes and foreign countries - especially England - and as a storage place for trade goods, then powder and guns after the Revolutionary War. It was the departure point for various explorations of the western and southern regions of Atlantic America. What you see here are the remnants of the circa 1844 renovation of the building which was destroyed almost completely during a fire in 1980. The building was probably built sometime between the mid-1600s to the early 1700s of rubble stone. It served a the City’s powder magazine from 1785 to 1791.
During its long history, the trading station saw its commerce carried by various types of vessels as far as London, to various American coastal ports by barges, flatboats, ferries, canoes, canoas (hollowed out logs), wagons, horse trains (as far as Alabama), railroads, oxen-pulled tobacco hogsheads, and small rowboats. From the port, Petersburg exported such materials as deerskins, lumber, ship’s masts, tobacco, foodstuffs including wheat and flour; and later manufactured goods and seafood including caviar.
One block west on Grove Avenue Johnson’s Alley is the entrance
Erected 2011 by Petersburg Foundation, Historic Petersburg Foundation.
Location. 37° 13.981′ N, 77° 24.443′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of North Market Street and Grove Avenue, on the left when traveling north on North Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Major Peter Jones (a few steps from this marker); Rock Garden (a few steps from this marker); Peter Jones Trading Station (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Peter Jones Trading Station (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Peter Jones Trading Station (a few steps from this marker); Tavern Park (a few steps from this marker); Concrete Bunker (within shouting distance of this marker); Golden Ball Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petersburg.
Also see . . .
1. Historic Petersburg Foundation. (Submitted on October 18, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Oldest building in Petersburg, the Peter Jones Trading Station, is open for visitors. The Progress-Index (Submitted on October 18, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Petersburg’s Role In Trade.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 18, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 469 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 18, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.