Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Petersburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Peter Jones Trading Station

 
 
Peter Jones Trading Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, October 16, 2011
1. Peter Jones Trading Station Marker
Inscription. The building before you was built as part of a trading station set up during the middle of the 17th century by Peter Jones I and his father-in-law Major General Abraham Wood. The building is known variously as Peter Jones Trading Station, Peter Jones Trading Post, and Old Stone Lumberhouse; but it is only one of the structures that made up the trading complex within the village which began as Fort Henry. Some old maps refer to this location as Appamattuck, Wood, and Fort Henry.

Fort Henry was established in 1646 at the falls of the Appomattox River as the last fort along the Virginia Fall Zone to protect English settlers from Powhatan uprisings. Peter Jones’ and General Wood’s trading complex within the Fort Henry lands was at the limit of navigation on the Appomattox River. Eventually, a village grew up along Old Street just east of here. This location served as a supply and administrative depot at the frontier for various exploratory and trade ventures to the west and southwest. The area to the immediate west was laid out as the town of Petersburg in December of 1738. In 1733 Petersburg had been named by William Byrd II partly for his friend Peter Jones Jr. Just behind you is what was the Upper or “Oyster Shell” Landing which served during the 17th and 18th centuries as a small river port The small bay and docking
Location of Peter Jones Trading Station image. Click for full size.
2. Location of Peter Jones Trading Station
areas were filled in during the building of the railroads in the mld-19th century and later.
 
Erected 2011 by Petersburg Foundation, Historic Petersburg Foundation.
 
Location. 37° 13.991′ N, 77° 24.443′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of North Market Street and Pike Street, on the right when traveling south on North Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Peter Jones Trading Station (here, next to this marker); Rock Garden (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Peter Jones Trading Station (a few steps from this marker); Concrete Bunker (a few steps from this marker); Major Peter Jones (a few steps from this marker); Petersburg’s Role In Trade (a few steps from this marker); Tavern Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Golden Ball Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petersburg.
 
Also see . . .
1. Historic Petersburg Foundation. (Submitted on October 18, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Oldest building in Petersburg, the Peter Jones Trading Station, is open for visitors
Peter Jones Trading Station (facing south) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher
3. Peter Jones Trading Station (facing south)
. The Progress-Index (Submitted on October 18, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 18, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 639 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 18, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement