Benson in Cochise County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Benson Pioneer Cemetery
Known as “7th Street Cemetery”
Burial plots were sold to residents by the City of Benson and the cemetery continues to be maintained by the City. The first person buried was William McDonald, October 10, 1881. His grave is unmarked. The first marked grave is Charles H. Fullerton, buried October 13, 1883. The last burial was Nicholas Solis in 1975. Some graves contain several bodies, as was common in old cemeteries.
The original map of the grave sites has been lost and a grass fire destroyed many markers. Surveys and updated information have been created through the diligent efforts of Edward Ellsworth, Audrey Bingham, Elizabeth Brenner, Vay Fenn, Verda Lohmann, Thurber and Louise Larson. Information has been gathered from the Diocese of Tucson Archives, the LDS Family History Center, St. David Arizona Stake (Pomerene) and the descendents of those laid to rest in this historic cemetery.
Erected 2007 by Benson Historic Preservation Commission.
Location. 31° 57.859′ N, 110° 17.615′ W. Marker is in Benson, Arizona, in Cochise County. Marker is at the Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Benson AZ 85602, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Benson Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mormon Battalion (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Mormon Battalion (approx. 5.8 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 19, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 721 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 19, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.