Gumboro in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
at a site one-half mile west of here. In 1861, Jacob Jones and his wife, Love Melson Jones, set aside half an acre of land at this location to serve as a burial place for the members of Jones Methodist Episcopal Church. Their home was directly across the road. Declining attendance eventually led to the closing of the church, which was formally abandoned in 1956. The cemetery is maintained by the descendants of Jacob Jones and Joseph W. Lewis.
Erected 2001 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC 141.)
Location. 38° 29.939′ N, 75° 23.569′ W. Marker is in Gumboro, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Lowes Crossing Road (County Route 61), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located east of Jones Church Road. Marker is in this post office area: Millsboro DE 19966, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Westwoods Methodist Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Bethany United Methodist Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Gumboro School Gumboro United Methodist Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Gumboro Hundred (approx. 2½ miles away); Line United Methodist Church (approx. 3½ miles away); Bethel Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Carey's Camp (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gumboro.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 364 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 24, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.