Gumboro in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Westwoods Methodist Church
Around 1880 a group of local residents began to hold services in the Good Hope School House. Soon after, they started to conduct “woods” or “bush” meetings in the open air nearby. A camp meeting ground was subsequently constructed. In 1892, on one day alone, fifty-eight youth were baptized at Westwoods Camp. While meetings were well-attended, they were discontinued in the mid-1890’s when the services were merged with those that were being held at other churches nearby.
In 1890 the congregation began the construction of a church. On March 23, 1891, trustees were elected, and the land where the church was built was conveyed to them by Joshua G. West. The building was completed later that year. The church was affiliated with the Gumboro Circuit of the Methodist Episcopal denomination. It was given the name Westwoods to reflect
Erected 1998 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC 121.)
Location. 38° 30.485′ N, 75° 22.193′ W. Marker is in Gumboro, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Westwoods Road (County Road 426), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 21984 Westwoods Road, Millsboro DE 19966, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gumboro Hundred (approx. 1.2 miles away); Jones Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Gumboro School (approx. 1.7 miles away); Gumboro United Methodist Church (approx. 2 miles away); Bethany United Methodist Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Carey's Camp (approx. 3½ miles away); a different marker also named Carey's Camp (approx. 3½ miles away); Bethel Church (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gumboro.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 309 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 26, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.