Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lannon in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Lannon Stone

 
 
Lannon Stone Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, September 16, 2011
1. Lannon Stone Marker
Inscription. Commercial quarrying of Waukesha County’s high grade limestone -- actually dolomite -- was well under way by the 1850’s and became an important industry. By the early 1890’s some 14 quarries were producing stone for paving and curbing, building, flagging, and other uses. As time progressed, the uniform grade, hardness and color of the stone in the Lannon area attracted the attention of builders, and quarries advertised and received orders for “Lannon Stone.” By mid-century, architects and builders had begun to use the Lannon area’s colorful, thin surface stone as veneer rather than load-bearing structural material. This use spread quickly and widely. The Village of Lannon became the center of the state’s building stone industry and the name of the special stone from this area became synonymous with that of the village.
 
Erected 1979 by Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 255.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 43° 8.984′ N, 88° 9.824′ W. Marker is in Lannon, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (State Highway 74) and Lannon Road (County Route Y), on the right
Lannon Village Hall and Lannon Stone Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, September 16, 2011
2. Lannon Village Hall and Lannon Stone Marker
when traveling east on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is located on the grounds of Lannon Village Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20399 W Main Street, Lannon WI 53046, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lannon Lists itself as “Amateur Baseball Capital of Waukesha County” (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pioneer St. James Catholic Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Sub-Continental Divide (approx. 2.2 miles away); Mammoth Spring Hotel - Saloon (approx. 2˝ miles away); Sussex (approx. 2.9 miles away); Zion Evangelical Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away); St. Alban’s Episcopal Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); First Woman in Town of Lisbon (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lannon.
 
Also see . . .  History of Lannon and its quarries. Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc. (Submitted on October 21, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.) 
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 21, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 595 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 21, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement