Newbury in Orange County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Old Court House
Here Stood From 1773 to 1801
The old court house with jail connected for Gloucester County New York, which became Orange County Vermont. It was used for a meeting house until 1788. The Legislature of 1787 met in this building. A few rods northerly stood the log fort of revolutionary days.
Erected 1912 by Town of Newbury, Vermont.
Location. 44° 5.309′ N, 72° 2.915′ W. Marker is in Newbury, Vermont, in Orange County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 5) 0.1 miles north of Oxbow Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newbury VT 05051, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bayley-Hazen Military Road (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. Thomas Johnson (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel Thomas Johnson (approx. 0.4 miles away); Elmbank (approx. half a mile away); Jacob Bayley (approx. 0.8 miles away); General Jacob Bayley (approx. 0.8 miles away); Soldiers of Haverhill Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away in New Hampshire); Ebenezer MacKintosh (approx. 1.4 miles away in New Hampshire). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newbury.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2011, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 468 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 22, 2011, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.