Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

123 Tradd Street

Charles Graves House

 

—circa 1795 —

 
123 Tradd Street Charles Graves House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 2, 2011
1. 123 Tradd Street Charles Graves House Marker
Inscription.
This three-story masonry single house with hipped roof and Federal style details was constructed for Charles Graves, a local factor. One of the oldest building along upper Tradd Street, the house is located on portions of Lots 226 and 227 of the "Grand Modell of Charles-Town," the earliest plan of the city.

The Federal influence is evidenced by the narrow central entrance with a molded architrave and tall transom with delicate neoclassical tracery. A two-story piazza with paneled ceilings, Tuscan columns and simple balusters spans the west façade. The principal elevations feature brick stuccoed and scored to resemble stone, a brick string course between the second and third floors, quoins, and decorative brick resembling dentils. A later addition on the south façade connects the main house to the original two-story masonry kitchen building.

The interior layout of the building follows the traditional single house plan, with a three story central stair hall flanked by a single room on each side. The interior of 123 Tradd Street is notable in that most of the original Federal period details have been retained.

 
Erected 2001 by Preservation Society of Charleston.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the
123 Tradd Street Charles Graves House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 2, 2011
2. 123 Tradd Street Charles Graves House and Marker
South Carolina, Preservation Society of Charleston marker series.
 
Location. 32° 46.451′ N, 79° 56.083′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Tradd Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located between Logan and Legare Streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 Tradd Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 125 Tradd Street (a few steps from this marker); 126 Tradd Street (within shouting distance of this marker); 32 Legare Street (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Peter's Episcopal Church Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Reverend Paul Trapier Gervais House (about 400 feet away); 95 Lenwood Boulevard (about 400 feet away); Colonel John Stuart House (about 400 feet away); The Bowles - Legare House (about 500 feet away); Toomer- Purse House (about 600 feet away); Simmons-Edwards House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
 
Regarding 123 Tradd Street. A 1680 plan for the new settlement, the Grand Modell, laid out "the model of an exact regular town," and the future for the growing community...Today the city's community buildings help to make Charleston one of the most complete historic districts in the country, with more than 1400 historically significant buildings
 
Also see . . .
1. Federal Architecture. Federal-style architecture is the name for the classicizing architecture built in the United States between c. 1780 and 1830, and particularly from 1785 to 1815. (Submitted on June 19, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

2. How the City Grew. The "Grand Modell of Charles Town" included the lower peninsula city of Charleston up to present-day Beaufain Street. (Submitted on June 19, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 24, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 499 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 24, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement