Newport in Newport County, Rhode Island — The American Northeast (New England)
National Historic Site
Jeshuat Israel Congregation
Ths oldest synagogue building in the United States was designed by Peter Harrison. Ground was broken August 1, 1759. It was dedicated on December 2, 1763. Here, 1781-84 The Rhode Island General Assembly met, and during Washington’s visit to Newport in 1781 a town meeting was held here. The State Supreme Court held sessions here at that period. The building was reopened for religious services on August 2, 1850. In 1790 George Washington wrote to this congregation that . . . “Happily the Government of the United States . . . . gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.”
Department of the Interior
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 41° 29.362′ N, 71° 18.72′ W. Marker is in Newport, Rhode Island, in Newport County. Marker is at the intersection of Touro Street and Division Street, on the left when traveling east on Touro Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 72 Touro Street, Newport RI 02840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Touro Synagogue Gideon Cornell House (within shouting distance of this marker); The New Jersey House (within shouting distance of this marker); Buffum-Redwood House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Elisha Johnson House (about 300 feet away); Wilbour-Ellery House (about 400 feet away); Old State House (about 500 feet away); Cap't George Buckmaster House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport.
Also see . . . Historical Overview of Touro Synagogue. (Submitted on October 24, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 24, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 418 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 24, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.