Niagara-on-the-Lake in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada
Point Mississauga Lighthouse
Le Phare de Point Mississauga
En 1804, John Symington, sur l'ordre du lieutenant-gouverneur Peter Hunter, construisit le premier phare des Grand lacs à Point Mississauga. Ce phare, qui était en pierre, fut démoli en 1814 pour faire place à ce fort. Les matériaux dont il était fabriqué et les débris de la ville du Niagara en ruines servirent à ériger la tour du fort Mississauga.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Location. 43° 15.703′ N, 79° 4.621′ W. Marker is in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, in Niagara Region. Touch for map. This historical marker is located on the Canadian side of the mouth of the Niagara River, where the river empties into Lake Ontario. It is situated along the river on the northern edge of the Niagara-on-the-Lake Golf Course, at the end of the Fort Mississauga footpath that leads to the site of Fort Mississauga. This historical marker is affixed to the side wall of the fort's opened main
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Mississauga (a few steps from this marker); Fort Mississauga is a National Historic Site (within shouting distance of this marker); A Strategic Location (within shouting distance of this marker); A Fort Evolves (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Mississauga Trail (about 240 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Remains of Three Soldiers (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); The Battle of Fort George (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Niagara on the Lake Historical District (approx. 0.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara-on-the-Lake.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 25, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 434 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 28, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.