Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bernardston in Franklin County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Connable Fort

1630 - 1930

 
 
Connable Fort image. Click for full size.
By Russell C. Bixby, March 26, 2012
1. Connable Fort
Inscription. Site of the second fort and building in Fall Town, erected in 1739 by Samuel Connable. Its original timbers are still in the house on a knoll to the northwest.
 
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony-Tercentenary Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers marker series.
 
Location. 42° 42.52′ N, 72° 34.013′ W. Marker is in Bernardston, Massachusetts, in Franklin County. Marker is on Brattleboro Road (U.S. 5), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bernardston MA 01337, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Burke Fort (approx. 1.4 miles away but has been reported missing); Deacon Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort (approx. 2.2 miles away); Bernardston Veterans Monument (approx. 2.7 miles away); Lieut. Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort (approx. 3.8 miles away); King Philip's Hill (approx. 4.9 miles away); Eunice Williams (approx. 5.1 miles away); First Settlement (approx. 5.7 miles away); Jemima Tute (approx. 5.8 miles away in Vermont). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bernardston.
 
Also see . . .
Connable Fort Marker after restoration image. Click for full size.
By Tony Farrick, December 27, 2011
2. Connable Fort Marker after restoration

1. Tercentenary Commission Markers. Original 1930 publication by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of Tercentenary Commission Markers, commemorating the three hundredth anniversary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. (Submitted on May 21, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.) 

2. The Line of Forts (Historical Archaeology on the Colonial Frontier of Massachusetts). This marker was placed at the site of one the forts established by Governor William Shirley, along the northern border of Massachusetts, as a defense against the French and their Indian allies. Construction of these forts or fortified houses immediately preceded the French & Indian War (1754-1763).
These frontier fortifications of the Massachusetts Bay Colony were the subject of a 2006 publication titled The Line of Forts (Historical Archaeology on the Colonial Frontier of Massachusetts) by Michael D. Coe. (Submitted on July 6, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraWar, French and Indian
 
Connable Fort , Route 5, Brattleboro Road (North) image. Click for full size.
By Russell C. Bixby, March 26, 2012
3. Connable Fort , Route 5, Brattleboro Road (North)
Connable Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By Russell C. Bixby, May 20, 2011
4. Connable Fort Marker
Marker prior to restoration.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 760 times since then and 57 times this year. Last updated on October 26, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. Photos:   1. submitted on July 27, 2012, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.   2. submitted on January 1, 2012, by Tony Farrick of Shelburne Falls, Ma..   3. submitted on July 27, 2012, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.   4. submitted on May 20, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement