Sparta in Hancock County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Pierce Memorial Methodist Church
In 1806, the South Carolina Conference, of which Sparta was a member, held its session in Sparta and the town appears for the first time as head of the Sparta Circuit. That same year, Robert Flournoy, a Revolutionary soldier, deeded a lot to John Lucas and Henry Mose, trustees of the Methodist Society of Sparta. On this lot, the previous year, a church had been built. It served, with necessary remodeling, for 105 years, until 1910, when it was destroyed by fire. In 1906 the Centennial of Sparta Methodism was celebrated. This building was completed in 1934.
Many prominent pastors have served this church -- George Dougherty, Jesse Lee, Bishop Atticus G. Haygood, Bishop Warren A. Candler. Though Bishop George F. Pierce was never pastor here, for many years he considered it his home church.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 070-10.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher, and the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sparta GA 31087, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sparta Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Sparta (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Eagle Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hancock County (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Old Dominion" (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rockby (approx. 2.2 miles away); Nathan S.S. Beman at Mt. Zion (approx. 5.8 miles away); Gov. William Jonathan Northen (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sparta.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 28, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 443 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 28, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.