Latta in Dillon County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Pine Hill A.M.E. Church / Pine Hill Rosenwald School
This church, founded in 1876, was in Marion County before Dillon County was created in 1910. At first on S.C. Hwy. 34, the church acquired this site in 1891 when Alfred Franklin Page (1863-1929) and his wife Laura Willis Page (1886-1963) donated 1.97 acres here. The congregation built a new Pine Hill A.M.E. Church shortly afterwards. This sanctuary was built in 1977.
Pine Hill Rosenwald School
Pine Hill Rosenwald School, one of the first ten Rosenwald schools in the state, was built here in 1917-18. One of 500 rural black schools in S.C. funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation 1917-1932, it was a frame two-room school. With two to four teachers, it reached a peak of 208 students in grades 1-7 in 1938-39. The school closed in 1957 and burned in 1977.
Erected 2011 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 17-15.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
Location. 34° 26.244′ N, 79° 29.19′ W. Marker is in Latta, South Carolina, in Dillon County. Marker is on Centerville Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located .25 miles north of State Highway 34. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2258 Centerville Road, Latta SC 29565, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Joel Allen House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Selkirk Farm (approx. 2.3 miles away); Catfish Creek Baptist Church (approx. 5 miles away); Saint Paul Methodist Church (approx. 5.5 miles away); James W. Dillon House Museum (approx. 6 miles away); James W. Dillon (approx. 6.5 miles away); Dillon County / Dillon County Courthouse (approx. 6.5 miles away); Duncan McLaurin (approx. 6.7 miles away).
Also see . . . Julius Rosenwald. Over the course of his life, Rosenwald and his fund donated over 70 million dollars to public schools, colleges and universities, museums, Jewish charities and black institutions. The rural school building program was one of the largest programs administered by the Rosenwald Fund. It contributed more than four million dollars in matching funds to the construction of more than 5,000 schools, shops, and teachers' homes in the South. These schools became informally known as "Rosenwald Schools." (Submitted on October 29, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 467 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 5, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on May 5, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on November 5, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.