Cadott in Chippewa County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Cadott Hub and Spoke Factory
The capacity of his plant rose from 8,000 sets each of hub and spokes to 85,000 sets each per year. In addition, 15,000 sets of bob sled runners were made annually along with manufacturing many million feet of hardwood lumber for building and furniture purposes.
The hub and spoke factory remained in operation in Cadott for eighteen years. In 1898 Clark and several of his company heads transferred their operation to Ironton, Missouri. Theodore Filtz & Sons bought the Clark mill in 1906. Wooden cheese boxes were made, using elm veneer for the sides and aspen for the tops and bottoms. Production ceased in 1944. Lumber production has been continuous on the site for over 115 years.
Marker Sign #33
Erected by the Chippewa County Historical Society. (Marker Number 33.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at the Cadott Area Historical Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 630 North Highway 27, Cadott WI 54727, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Cadotte Fur Traders (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Great Northern Pine of Wisconsin (about 400 feet away); Cadott Centennial (about 400 feet away); Introduction to the Geology of the Cadott Region (about 400 feet away); Cadotte Trading Post Site (about 400 feet away); The Yellowstone Trail (about 400 feet away); The Precambrian Rocks (approx. ¼ mile away); The Gravesite of Lansing A. Wilcox (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cadott.
Also see . . . Highway 29 Partnership. Cadott History. (Submitted on October 29, 2011.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 571 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 29, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.