Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Savannah Cotton Exchange
The Exchange was designed by the nationally-known Boston architect, William Gibbons Preston (1844-1910). His design won out in a competition participated in by eleven architects. The Exchange is believed to be one of the few structures in the world erected over an existing public street.
The beautiful iron railing around this grass plat, with panels featuring medallions of famous statesmen, authors and poets, once graced the ante-bellum Wetter House in Savannah.
The former Cotton Exchange is now the headquarters of the Savannah Chamber of Commerce, which cordially invites you to drop in for a visit.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Society. (Marker Number 025-56.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 4.84′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old City Exchange Bell (here, next to this marker); Solomon's Lodge No. 1 F. & A.M Savannah, Georgia (a few steps from this marker); The Invention of the Cotton Gin (a few steps from this marker); Birthplace of the University Of Georgia (within shouting distance of this marker); Chatham Artillery's (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Chatham Artillery's (within shouting distance of this marker); The Chatham Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); Solomon's Lodge No. 1 F.& A.M. (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Regarding Old Savannah Cotton Exchange. The Cotton Exchange was long a symbol of the importance of the cotton industry to the city of Savannah. The building on Bay Street was originally called King Cottonís Palace because its Romanesque architectural style made it stand out amongst the other buildings nearby. Today the historic building is a Solomonís Masonic Lodge and is open to the public
Visitors to the Central River Street area can enjoy the splendid view of the exterior of the building and the griffin, a winged lion of mythology that stands in front surrounded by a fence with medallions of poets and presidents. This beautiful red terra cotta winged lion fountain sits in front of the old Savannah Cotton Exchange Building on Bay Street. The fountain was constructed in 1889.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . City of Savannah. On April 16, 1903, the Georgia Society of Colonial Dames of America began a crusade to save the old City Exchange. In February, City Council announced their plans to demolish the building (erected 1799-c.1801) and replace it with a larger, modern structure to house the city governmentís offices. Councilís plans met with little resistance and most citizens were excited about the new building, reflecting little on what it would mean to the old Exchange, described by the Dames as “a silent witness of many notable events in the history of Savannah.” (Submitted on January 22, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
1. King Cotton
Antebellum Savannah was built around slavery and
— Submitted January 22, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
2. Chamber of Commerce
The Chamber of Commerce is not located in the Old Cotton Exchange Building. It may have been there when the marker was erected, but it is now located across the street from the Cotton Exchange.
— Submitted September 1, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 22, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 14,429 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 22, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on September 13, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on January 22, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on June 11, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.