Former Victoria Law Courts
L’Ancien Palais de Justice de Victoria
Opened in 1889, the Victoria Law Courts was the first major public building constructed by the provincial government after union with Canada. Previously, court sessions had been held in one of the colonial administration buildings located on the site of the present provincial legislature. Removal of the courts to Bastion Square marked an important stage in the evolution of British Columbia’s court system and the start of a programme [sic] to erect permanent court houses in judicial districts throughout the province. Trials continued to be held in the building until 1962.
Ce palais de justice a eté inaugure en 1889. Il fut le premier édifice public d’importance construit par la province après son entrée dans la Confederation. Auparavant, les séances avaient lieu dans l’un des bátiments de l’administration coloniale, la où s’elève aujourd’hui l’hotel du gouvernement provincial. La reinstallation des cours de justice dans cet édifice marqua une étape importante dans l’organisation judiciaire de la Colonbie-Britannique. Elle inaugura aussi un programme de construction de palais de justice permanent partout dans la province. La magistrature y instruisit des procès jusqu’en 1962. Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. Commission des lieux et monuments historique du Canada Government of Canada –
Location. 48° 25.554′ N, 123° 22.145′ W. Marker is in Victoria, British Columbia, in Capital Regional District. Marker can be reached from Langley Street. Touch for map. This marker is located on the building at #28 Bastion Square. Bastion Square is located between Wharf and Government Streets at the foot of View Street. Marker is in this post office area: Victoria, British Columbia V8W, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sir Matthew Baillie Begbie (here, next to this marker); Boomerang Court and Chancery Lane (here, next to this marker); Mizzen Mast – H.M.S. Algerine (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bell Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); The Signing Post (within shouting distance of this marker); Amor De Cosmos, 1825-1897 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bank Building (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Fort Victoria (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victoria.
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 3, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 657 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 3, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.