Mentor in Lake County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1885, workers discovered an abundant supply of natural gas at Lawnfield and built a stone-and-brick gasholder building. A few years later, workers drilled a new 800-foot-deep gas well and, in 1893, reduced the gasholder building by one-half when building the Carriage House. With this system, Lucretia Garfield owned her own gas works for her household lighting, heating, and cooking fixtures.
Inside, a five-foot-deep metal storage tank held the natural gas until it was piped into the main house. The circular tank, about 20 feet in diameter, rose and fell with the amount of gas it held. Eventually, public utilities supplied natural gas and, by 1944, the gaslight fixtures had been converted to electric lighting.
[Inset caption reads] Inside this building are the remnants of the natural gas storage and distribution system that Lucretia Garfield used to light and heat Lawnfield.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 41° 39.894′ N, 81° 21.045′ W. Marker is in Mentor, Ohio, in Lake County. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of James A. Garfield National Historic Site. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8095 Mentor Avenue, Mentor OH 44060, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are James A. Garfield's "Lawnfield" (within shouting distance of this marker); Carriage House (within shouting distance of this marker); Lawnfield (within shouting distance of this marker); James A. Garfield and the Civil War (within shouting distance of this marker); Windmill (within shouting distance of this marker); Campaign Office (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Garfield's Farm (about 300 feet away); Expanding the House (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mentor.
Also see . . . James A. Garfield National Historic Site. (Submitted on November 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 248 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.