Victoria in Capital Regional District, British Columbia — The Canadian Pacific
Victoria Fire Department Headquarters
Victoria’s central business district grew dramatically during the 1880s and 1890s. More “modern’ buildings in size and value signalled [sic] a need for increased fire protection downtown. A decision was made to incorporate a new Fire Department Headquarters into the existing Public Market building – roughly the location of today’s Centennial Fountain where Cormorant and Broad Streets once met. In 1899, a magnificent, new facility replaced the Tiger Company Fire Hall which had been located at the southwest corner of City Hall since 1880.
The new Headquarters shared space with the Victoria and Sidney Railway ticket office and the Victoria Public Market. Similar in design to the San Francisco and New York fire departments, the Headquarters' fire fighting apparatus was arranged in two ranks. Upon the sounding of the alarm, the doors would open and horses would dash to the front of the apparatus in readiness to be hooked up to their harness.
During its time at the Public Market building, the Department progressed from horse-drawn apparatus to more modern, mechanized fire engines. The Victoria Fire Department remained at this location until
The Victoria Fire Department Headquarters on Cormorant Street looking north from Broad Street.
The Victoria Fire Department Headquarters on Cormorant Street looking west from Broad Street.
Erected by Victoria Fire Dept. Historical Society.
Location. 48° 25.709′ N, 123° 21.917′ W. Marker is in Victoria, British Columbia, in Capital Regional District. Marker can be reached from Douglas Street / Trans-Canada Highway (National Highway 1), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. This marker is in Centennial Square. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1600 Douglas Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 1N8, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tiger Company Fire Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Japanese Internment (within shouting distance of this marker); Victoria City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Wesleyan Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); McPherson Playhouse (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Fifth Regiment of Garrison Artillery (about 120 meters away); Chinese General Store (about 120 meters away); Cast Iron Panels (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victoria.
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 517 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 4, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.