Mentor in Lake County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The first settlement in this county was made near this site in 1797 and was known as Marsh Settlement. The early residents were: Jesse Phelps, Hosmer Merry and the families of Jared Ward, Moses Parks, Charles Parker and Ebenezer Merry.
For several years Ebenezer Merry's cabin was the voting place for Painesville Township which included Kirtland, Mentor, Concord, Leroy, Perry, Painesville, Chardon, Hambden and Mountville.
Erected by Lake County Historical Society.
Location. 41° 43.545′ N, 81° 20.332′ W. Marker is in Mentor, Ohio, in Lake County. Touch for map. Marker is near the entrance to the Mentor Lagoons Nature Preserve and Marina. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8365 Harbor Drive, Mentor OH 44060, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mentor Lagoons (here, next to this marker); Mentor Lagoons Water Trail (here, next to this marker); Mentor Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.9 miles away); Fairport Harbor Lighthouse (approx. 3.8 miles away); La Salle Expedition (approx. 3.9 miles away); Rose Capital of the Nation Railroad Connection (approx. 4.2 miles away); Garfield's Farm (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mentor.
Also see . . . Mentor Timeline. (Submitted on November 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Environment • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 433 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.