Lee Mong Kow
Lee Mong Kow (1863-1924) was born in Panyu County, Guangdong Province, China. As an interpreter in the Canadian Customs House and Immigration Office he helped facilitate communication between Chinese and Western people.
Mr. Lee devoted himself to welfare work and served as a board director of the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association of Victoria for 9 one-year terms.
He was one of the founders of Lok Kwun Free School (1899-1909) and served as it board chairman until the school was replaced by the Chinese Imperial School (1909-1911). He also helped establish the new school and was it honorary principal for 11 years. The school was renamed Victoria Chinese Public School in 1912.
Lee Mong Kow was highly respected for his untiring efforts and contributions to the promotion of Chinese Education.
Jointly erected by:
City of Victoria
Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association
Victoria Chinese Public School
Descendents of Lee Mong Kow
Lee Benevolent Association (Victoria)
Jack Wai Yen Lee, CM
Unveiled by His Worship Mayor Alan Lowe, February 13, 2005
Erected 2005 by Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association.
Location. 48° 25.761′ N, 123° 22.163′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dragon Alley (within shouting distance of this marker); Victoria’s Chinatown (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Cast Iron Panels (about 180 meters away); Market Square’s Main Gate Fountain (about 180 meters away); Victoria, B.C. (about 210 meters away); Chinese General Store (about 210 meters away); Fifth Regiment of Garrison Artillery (about 210 meters away); McPherson Playhouse (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victoria.
Categories. • Asian Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 5, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 824 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 5, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.