Port Bolivar in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1896 developers L.P. Featherstone and Fox Winnie constructed a railroad line connection Point Bolivar to Galveston and Beaumont. Featherstone was instrumental in dredging a channel and building a wharf, where the first cargo ship landed in 1909. The town prospered and by 1911 contained a schoolhouse and a Methodist church. Business activity at the wharf continued to expand and Port Bolivar's economy surged.
Shipping worldwide slowed at the outset of World War I and use of the wharf declined. In 1915 the town and wharf were severely damaged by a storm and many facilities were never rebuilt. The community turned to commercial fishing and tourism to successfully revitalize its economy. Regular ferry service to the mainland, which began in 1930, continues today.
Erected 1995 by
Location. 29° 24.912′ N, 94° 42.649′ W. Marker is in Port Bolivar, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is on State Highway 87. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Bolivar TX 77650, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bolivar Point (approx. 4.3 miles away); Jane Herbert Wilkinson Long (approx. 4.3 miles away); Point Bolivar (approx. 4.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Fort Travis (approx. 4.7 miles away); Fort San Jacinto (approx. 6.1 miles away); Galveston Island (approx. 7.1 miles away); Galveston, C. S. A. (approx. 7.8 miles away); Galveston Medical College (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Bolivar.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2011, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 406 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 6, 2011, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.