Daphne in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Daphne United Methodist Church
Land donated by William L. Howard. Building built by L. E. Edmondson and a Creole helper, Isaac Alexander, who hand made the pegs used in the framework. Oldest marked grave is 1847. Building still houses the slave gallery, silver- dollar lined bell, original pews and the original chandelier converted to electricity. Many generations have knelt in prayer here.
Location. 30° 22.034′ N, 87° 32.686′ W. Marker is in Daphne, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker can be reached from 6th Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1515 6th Avenue, Daphne, AL 36526, Daphne AL 36526, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Josephine (approx. 2.8 miles away); Orange Beach Community Cemetery (approx. 4.7 miles away); Bay Circle (approx. 5½ miles away); Orange Beach, Alabama (approx. 5½ miles away); Tampary (approx. 6.1 miles away in Florida); Orange Beach Municipal Complex (approx. 6.1 miles away); Perdido Pass (approx. 6.2 miles away); City of Foley (approx. 8.7 miles away).
More about this marker. This cemetery is located on Old County Road between Villa Drive (entrance to Mercy Medical Center) and Sandpiper Lane; From U. S. 98; turn west on Santa Rosa Avenue (between Daphne Elementary & Daphne UMC Church) for 1/4 mile; then left on Old County Road for 1/10 mile. The cemetery is on the west side of the road. The cemetery is owned and maintained by the Daphne Baptist Church Cemetery Association, Inc., P. O. Box 160, Daphne, AL 36526. The Daphne Baptist Church is located at 1515 6th Avenue, Daphne, AL 36526, tel. 251-626-2215. Daphne Baptist Church Cemetery Daphne, Baldwin County, Alabama
T5S- R2E-41 30.36724 North 87.54476 West Historical Atlas No. 2-372
The cemetery consists of 8.53 acres enclosed in a chain link fence with a wrought iron gate. Surveyed by Marjorie Ard & Patricia Dunbar in 1982.
Resurveyed and photographed by Jan Allison on August 4 & 11, 2005.
Regarding Daphne United Methodist Church. National Register of Historic Places, Methodist Episcopal Church, South ** (added 1980 - - #80000679) Also known as Old Daphne Methodist Church Baldwin County - 1608 Old County Rd. , Daphne (12 acres, 1 building) Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering Architect, builder, or engineer: Alexander, Isaac, Edmondson, Larkin E. Architectural Style: Greek Revival Area of Significance: Architecture Period of Significance: 1850-1874 Owner: Private Historic Function: Religion Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure Current Function:Vacant/NotInUse; http://www.nationalhistoricalregister.com/AL/Baldwin/vacant.html.
Additional keywords. Edmondson, Baptist, cemetery, slave
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Daphne United Methodist Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2011, by James Edward Edmundson of Clifton, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,079 times since then and 45 times this year. Last updated on November 6, 2011, by James Edward Edmundson of Clifton, Virginia. Photos: 1. submitted on November 6, 2011, by James Edward Edmundson of Clifton, Virginia. 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 8, 2011, by James Edward Edmundson of Clifton, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.