Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Electrical Engineering Milestone
The United States Electric Illuminating Company of Charleston started up South Carolina's first central station for incandescent electric lighting in this building October 1882 . This was just one month after Thomas Edison opened his central station on New York City's Pearl Street. In the following years, the pioneering firm United States Electric was one of Edison's main competitors.
Erected 1986 by Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
Location. 32° 46.665′ N, 79° 56.016′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Queen Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 94 Queen Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quaker Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Unitarian Church in Charleston (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named The Unitarian Church in Charleston (about 400 feet away); The Most Reverend Emmet Michael Walsh (about 400 feet away); St. John's Church Philip Porcher House (about 500 feet away); John Rutledge Home (about 500 feet away); Site of St. Andrew's Hall (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Also see . . . IEEE Global History Network -. Milestones:First Central Station in South Carolina, 1882 Founded in 1878 by the prolific inventor Hiram Maxim, the USEL (United States Electric Lighting Company of New York) soon established itself as Thomas Edison's chief rival in the field of incandescent lighting. The company made some of the earliest installations of this new technology using Maxim's patent on a carbon-filament lamp, which was similar to that invented by Edison in 1879. (Submitted on November 7, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 308 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 21, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.