Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Watervliet in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Watervliet Arsenal

 
 
Watervliet Arsenal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 7, 2011
1. Watervliet Arsenal Marker
Inscription.
Oldest, Continuously Active
Manufacturing Arsenal in U.S.
Founded in 1813.

 
Erected by New York State Education Department.
 
Location. 42° 43.231′ N, 73° 42.116′ W. Marker is in Watervliet, New York, in Albany County. Marker is on Broadway (New York State Route 32), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. North of the arsenal entrance gate on Dalleba Street. Marker is in this post office area: Watervliet NY 12189, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City of Watervliet (approx. 0.4 miles away); Civil War Parrott Rifle (approx. 0.4 miles away); Saint Patrick's Church Bell (approx. 0.4 miles away); Meneely Foundry (approx. 0.4 miles away); Peter J. Dalessandro (approx. half a mile away); U.S. Army 3 Inch M5 Antitank Gun (approx. half a mile away); The Nalle Rescue (approx. half a mile away); Washington Park (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Watervliet.
 
Regarding Watervliet Arsenal. Watervliet Arsenal: 1817, Albany County, Watervliet. Located on approximately 140 acres of land in and around the city of Watervliet, New York. Watervliet is located approximately
Watervliet Arsenal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 7, 2011
2. Watervliet Arsenal Marker
Driving north on Broadway, which is also Route 32.
3.5 miles north of the city of Albany, NY and adjacent to the Hudson River. The land was acquired and arsenal construction started in 1813; designated as Watervliet Arsenal in 1817. The WVA consists of two primary areas: (1) the "Main Process Area" where manufacturing and administrative operations occur, and (2) The "Siberia Area", chiefly utilized for storage. Watervliet Arsenal is an active U.S. Army facility. It is the Nation's cannon factory, and currently manufactures tubes and tube assemblies for cannons, cannon components, mortars, and recoilless rifles, and the main gun tube for the M1 Abrams tank.
 
Also see . . .
1. Joint Technology and Manufacturing Center At Watervliet Arsenal. (Submitted on November 8, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
2. Watervliet Arsenal Museum. (Submitted on November 8, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
3. U.S. Army Watervliet Arsenal on Facebook. (Submitted on November 8, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceWar of 1812
 
Watervliet Arsenal Map - 1985 image. Click for full size.
Historic American Building Survey
3. Watervliet Arsenal Map - 1985
Over 35 buildings in the Watervliet Arsenal complex have been documented in the Historic American Building Survey. The series of documents also includes this directory of buildings.
Watervliet Arsenal image. Click for full size.
Historic American Building Survey, 1918
4. Watervliet Arsenal
Watervliet Arsenal as seen from an airplane. This 1918 view is to the east, with the Hudson River cutting across the image in the background.
Watervliet Arsenal image. Click for full size.
New York Public Library, April 2, 1918
5. Watervliet Arsenal
Scene at the Government Arsenal at Watervliet, N.Y. Manufacturing big guns, a close up of a big gun showing breech rings, recoil bands, brackets, etc. Image ID: 115751
Watervliet Arsenal Cast Iron Building image. Click for full size.
Historic American Building Survey
6. Watervliet Arsenal Cast Iron Building
The Watervliet Arsenal Museum is housed in this building, which is a National Historic Landmark. It is made entirely of pre-fabricated cast iron plates, cast and wrought iron trusses, and sheet steel roofing. The building was chosen to be the museum site in 1971. It was erected in 1859 under the orders of Major Mordecai, a past arsenal commander. The original purpose of the building was to store ordnance materiel, tooling and equipment. It continued serving that purpose through World War II. It was later converted into a facility for “layaway” storage.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,078 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 8, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement