When it was built in the fall of 1898, the Binet Block stood at the southern end of the business district extending north to King Street. A two-storey log building with a facade of milled lumber, it was typical of commercial structures built at the height of the gold rush. The lower floor with its large windows was meant for commercial use, the upper for residential. Between October 1898 and October 1900, the Federal Government rented it for offices. During the next fifty-seven years, it was used as a hotel, under such varied names as The Miner’s Rest, The Freeman, and the Yukon Hotel.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada/Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board marker series.
Location. 64° 3.564′ N, 139° 26.293′ W. Marker is in Dawson City, Yukon Territory. Marker is on Front Street (Klondike Highway). Touch for map. This marker is on Front Street between Harper and Church Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Dawson City, Yukon Territory Y0B 1G0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 3rd Avenue Complex (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); St. Andrew’s Church and Manse (about 180 meters away); Billy Bigg’s Blacksmith Shop (about 210 meters away); Tribute to the Miner (about 240 meters away); Harrington’s Store (about 240 meters away); Ruby’s Place/La maison de Ruby (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); K.T.M. Company (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Bank of British North America/La Bank of British North America (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dawson City.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 451 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 8, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.