Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dawson City, Yukon Territory — The Canadian Territories
 

St. Andrew’s Church and Manse

L’église et le presbytère St. Andrew’s

 
 
St. Andrew’s Church and Manse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 4, 2010
1. St. Andrew’s Church and Manse Marker
Inscription.
[English]
This substantial Presbyterian Church was a reflection of the prosperity and commitment of the congregation it served. Erected in 1901, it boasted a pipe organ and carved oak pews that could accommodate 600. The church bore the architectural stamp of the Gothic Revival popular elsewhere in the country. Together, with the spacious manse, of Second Empire design, it was one more element of familiarity in respectability in a city that was rapidly changing from its boom-town origins.

[French]
Cette grande églies presbytérienne témoignait de la porspérité et la fidélité des paroissiens qui la fréquentaient. Erigée en 1901, l’église était fière de posséder un orgue à tuyaux et des bancs de chêne sculptés qui pouvaient accueillir 600 fidèles. Le bâtiment portait la marque du style néo-gothique populaire ailleurs au pays. L’église et son vast presbytère de style Second Empire conféraient une autre touche de familiarité et de respectabilité à cette ville-champignon qui évoluait rapidement depuis ses origines.

Photo: K.N.H.S. C. Betts Collection K.N.H.S. Collection C. Betts
 
Erected by Parks Canada/Parcs Canada.
 
Location. 64° 3.483′ N, 139° 26.152′ W. Marker is in Dawson City, Yukon Territory

St. Andrew’s Church image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 4, 2010
2. St. Andrew’s Church
The marker is on the right side of the photograph.
. Marker is on Church Street just from Fourth Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dawson City, Yukon Territory Y0B 1G0, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 3rd Avenue Complex (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Yukon Hotel (about 180 meters away); N.W.M.P. Commanding Officer’s Quarters (about 240 meters away); Billy Bigg’s Blacksmith Shop (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Harrington’s Store (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Macaulay’s Residence (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Robert Service's Cabin / La cabane de Robert Service (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Ruby’s Place/La maison de Ruby (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dawson City.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
St. Andrew’s Church image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 4, 2010
3. St. Andrew’s Church
St. Andrew’s Church image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 4, 2010
4. St. Andrew’s Church
St. Andrew’s Church Manse image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 4, 2010
5. St. Andrew’s Church Manse
St. Andrew’s Church Manse (rear) image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 4, 2010
6. St. Andrew’s Church Manse (rear)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 478 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 8, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement