Mt. Airy in Carroll County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Parrsville & Ridgeville
Two Towns at the Four Corners
Parrsville, to the east, was named for a nearby spring that creates the headwaters of the Patapsco River, flowing east into Baltimore Harbor. Parr’s Spring, an important landmark for early surveyors, is the point of four corners between Carroll, Montgomery, Howard and Frederick Counties.
Just west, Ridgeville is located on an 830-foot tall ridge, the highest point on the National Pike between Baltimore and Braddock Heights. Traveling over this ridge after 1831, the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad hitched up horses to pull cars up two inclines on the east side. Brakemen would guide the train rolling down two more inclines on the west side. After a tunnel was constructed in 1901, travel by rail eclipsed travel by road.
Erected by America's Byways.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 39° 21.87′ N, 77° 9.668′ W. Marker is in Mt. Airy, Maryland, in Carroll County. Marker is on Old National Pike (Maryland Route 144) Touch for map. This is Wayside 17 on the Historic National Road in Maryland. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Airy MD 21771, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mount Airy (approx. half a mile away); The Mount Airy Station (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Mount Airy Rail Yard (approx. 0.9 miles away); Runkles Mill and The Mt. Airy Milling Company (approx. 0.9 miles away); First National Bank Building (approx. one mile away); Poplar Springs (approx. 3.2 miles away); Simpson & Mount Gregory United Methodist Churches (approx. 3.7 miles away); Mile Stones of the old National Pike (approx. 3.9 miles away).
More about this marker. On the lower left a photo shows "Located at the important crossroads of the National Road and old Route 27 (Mount Airy Main Street), the Eagle/Nelson/Ridgeville Hotel was a landmark for a century."
In the lower center a photo displays, "The old Ridgeville Grange, serving automobiles traveling on the National Road doubled as an old-fashioned mile marker, pointing to both Frederick and Baltimore."
On the lower right a photo states, "Residents of Parrsville, Ridgeville, and Mount Airy were employed by the B&O Railroad for generations."
Also see . . . Parrsville & Ridgeville. (PDF) A copy of the face of this marker. (Submitted on January 24, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 24, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,821 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 2, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. 2. submitted on January 24, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. 3, 4. submitted on March 2, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. 5. submitted on January 24, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.