Tribute to the Miner
In 1896, gold was discovered on Rabbit Creek (later known as Bonanza Creek) by Skookum Jim, George Carmack and Dawson Charlie, on the advice of fellow prospector Robert Henderson.
This event sparked the Great Klondike Gold Rush of 1898, and Dawson City and the Yukon Territory were born.
Monument designed for the Klondyke Centennial Society by Artist Halin de Repentigny.
Dedicated August 19, 2000
Klondyke Centennial Society • City of Dawson • Canadian Millennium Fund • Yukon Community Development Fund • Yukon Millennium Project
Erected 2000 by Klondyke Centennial Society.
Location. 64° 3.688′ N, 139° 26.239′ W. Marker is in Dawson City, Yukon Territory. Marker is at the intersection of Front Street (Klondike Highway) and Princess Street on Front Street (Klondike Highway). Touch for map. This marker is located on the levee side of Front Street near the intersection with Princess Street. Marker is in this post office area: Dawson City, Yukon Territory Y0B 1G0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ruby’s Place/La maison de Ruby (about 120 meters away,
Additional keywords. Klondike Gold Rush
Categories. • Exploration • Notable Events •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 9, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 576 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 9, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.