Trenton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Born Jan. 8, 1821, in England, he emigrated to America at an early age.
Borrow drew the plans for the Cooper-Hewitt rolling mill, the first three-high beam rolling mill of its kind in the world, located on the Delaware River in Trenton. Later he became foreman and superintendent of the mill, which changed its name to the Trenton Iron Works. The face of his monument bears a relief carving depicting his invention for the rolling of iron rails. This invention allowed Charles Hewitt and the Trenton Iron Works to produce iron beams for America’s first fire-proof building built with steel structural members. Borrow died before the patent could be acquired for his design. Four years later, John Fritz of Pittsburgh acquired a patent for a similar design.
Died Oct. 1, 1854, at his home near the Trenton Iron Works.
Location. 40° 13.161′ N, 74° 45.364′ W. Marker is in Trenton, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Touch for map. This marker is the sixth of seventeen markers on individual grave sites in Mercer Cemetery which is located on South Clinton Avenue between Magowan and Barlow Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton NJ 08609, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charles Hewitt (a few steps from this marker); Capt. James Olden Paxson (a few steps from this marker); John O. Raum (within shouting distance of this marker); William Potts Sherman (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. John Manners (within shouting distance of this marker); John Briest (within shouting distance of this marker); Ira Wells Wood (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sgt. John P. Beech (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
More about this marker. This marker is in the middle of the cemetery closer to Barlow Street.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 24, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 776 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 24, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey.