Quincy in Norfolk County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
The Granite Railway
The Granite Railway
Designated by the American Society of Civil Engineers 1976
This marker commemorates the 150th anniversary of the ground breaking for the first commercial railroad in the United States
Dedicated by the City of Quincy
April 1, 1976
Marker series. This marker is included in the Historic Civil Engineering Landmarks marker series.
Location. 42° 14.772′ N, 71° 2.154′ W. Marker is in Quincy, Massachusetts, in Norfolk County. Marker is on Granite Rail Court, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Landmark is at the end of Mullin Avenue and right against the south travel lane of the Southeast Expressway (Rte. 93). Marker is in this post office area: Quincy MA 02169, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old House (approx. 1.4 miles away); William Hutchinson's Grant (approx. 1˝ miles away); John Adams (approx. 1.6 miles away); John Hancock Birth Site (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named John Hancock Birth Site Adams Academy (approx. 1.6 miles away); William Reynolds Dimmock LL.D. (approx. 1.6 miles away); Burns (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quincy.
Regarding The Granite Railway. This gateway marks the foot of the old incline, a part of the granite railway.
The idea of the railroad was conceived and carried out by Gridley Bryant, in the face of great opposition but supported by, Thomas Handasyd Perkins, to transport the stone for the Bunker Hill Monument from the quarry to the tidewater in the Neponset River, a distance of two and three quarters miles.
Work was begun April1, 1826 and the completed railroad was opened October 7, 1826.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2011, by Sepp Bergschneider of Canton, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 541 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 13, 2011, by Sepp Bergschneider of Canton, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.