The Johlin Cabin
The Johlin Cabin is a log home built in the swamp in 1867. Originally located about 1.5 miles from here on Corduroy Road between Coy and Lallendorf roads, the 20-by-26-foot home remained in the Johlin family until Frederick Carl Johlin, Sr., donated the structure to Metroparks in 2006. It was moved here to demonstrate what life was like in the notorious swamp.
Log homes were built as permanent structures using hewed logs, a shingle roof, brick chimney, glass windows and a cellar. The Johlin's home not only has all of these characteristics, but also has the mark of their German homeland, such as horizontal clapboarding on the framed gables, a central chimney for a stove, an off-center front door, room partitions and a shingled roof.
Erected by Metroparks Toledo Area.
Location. 41° 38.5′ N, 83° 26.333′ W. Marker is near Oregon, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker can be reached from Pearson Park Drive east of Lallendorf Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. 761 Lallendorf Road is where the entrance of the park is located, just north of Navarre Avenue (State Route
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Peter and Robert Navarre (approx. 3.7 miles away); Peter Navarre (approx. 3.7 miles away); James B. Steedman (approx. 4 miles away); Canal Terminus / Manhattan (approx. 4 miles away); Vistula Historic District (approx. 4.6 miles away); A Prehistoric Fort (approx. 4.8 miles away); George Duncan Forsyth (approx. 5 miles away); Private Mark Wood (approx. 5 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. George W. Pearson Collection - MS 57. This is a link to information provvided by the Bowling Green State University Center for Archival Collections. (Submitted on November 15, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Pearson Metropark. This is a link to information provided by the Metroparks of the Toledo Area. (Submitted on November 15, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. Toledo Area Metroparks. Link is of Toledo Area Metroparks with page on Pearson Park. (Submitted on November 16, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio.)
1. Pearson Park History
Pearson Metropark was part of the Great Black Swamp,
Pearson was dedicated August 30, 1934 in honor of George W. Pearson, an East Toledo resident and reporter for The Blade.
Mr. Pearson campaigned for 20 years to save the land that now composes the park, and hundreds of citizens joined the effort. Once known as the Bank Lands because the property was often mortgaged and held by banks as a loan security, the first 280 acres were finally purchased off the auction block with funds from an anonymous donor. The next 40 acres were acquired through fundraising plan called "Living Memorials" with donor plaques placed on trees. In 2006, a group of citizens began another campaign to raise money for a 300 acre addition north of North of Starr Avenue, which will include a historical interpretation area with an 1800's log cabin.
Many of the park's facilities were constructed during the Great Depression by workers of the Works Progress Administration and the Civilian Conversation Corps. Even the man-made ponds,originally dug with pics and shovels. Pearson's natural area is a remnant of the Black Swamp which was once a
INFORMATION FROM TOLEDO AREA METROPARKS FLIER
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 790 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 16, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio. 3. submitted on November 13, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio. 4. submitted on November 16, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio. 5. submitted on November 13, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio. 6. submitted on November 16, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.