Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dublin in Laurens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Jefferson Davis

 
 
Jefferson Davis Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 9, 2011
1. Jefferson Davis Marker
Inscription. On May 7, 1865, Jefferson Davis, with his family and a small escort, passed through Dublin enroute south to avoid a screen of Union cavalry attempting to intercept him. That evening, the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry [US] reached Dublin and camped at the ferry. Its commander, Lt. Col. Henry Harnden, could learn nothing from the white citizens of Dublin; but late that night a negro visited his camp and told him that the Davis party “had passed through the town that day, going south on the river road.”

At dawn, Harnden began a pursuit. After many difficulties, he reached Abbeville (50 miles SW) close behind his quarry. There, he met the 4th Michigan Cavalry [US], Lt. Col. B. D. Pritchard, and, after briefing Pritchard, continued his pursuit of Mr. Davis.

Pritchard, bound down-river to intercept other Confederate officials, rode on some 12 miles; then, abandoning his own mission, he made a forced march and, finding the Davis camp by posing as the escort, he surrounded it quietly and waited for dawn.

Unaware of his presence, Harnden moved up before dawn to surround the camp. His advance was fired upon and, in the fight that followed, two Michigan soldiers were killed before a prisoner taken by Harndenís men revealed the identity of the “enemy.”

During this unfortunate collision,
Jefferson Davis Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 9, 2011
2. Jefferson Davis Marker
Pritchard closed in and captured Mr. Davis and his party, thereafter claiming for the 4th Michigan the fruits of the 1st Wisconsinís labors.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 087-4.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 32° 32.683′ N, 82° 53.462′ W. Marker is in Dublin, Georgia, in Laurens County. Marker is on Central Drive (U.S. 80) 0.1 miles west of Nobles Drive, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker is located on a small stretch of land between the two bridges over the Oconee River. Marker is in this post office area: East Dublin GA 31027, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Jefferson Davis (a few steps from this marker); Laurens County (approx. 0.8 miles away); Captain Hardy Smith House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Vallombrosa Plantation of Governor George Michael Troup (approx. 9.6 miles away); The Oconee Electric Membership Corporation (approx. 10.6 miles away); Johnson County
Jefferson Davis Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 9, 2011
3. Jefferson Davis Marker
Looking west toward Dublin and the Laurens County Courthouse: the bridge visible in the distance is over the primary channel of the Oconee River.
(approx. 16.2 miles away); Confederate Memorial (approx. 16.2 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 16.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dublin.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Jefferson Davis Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 9, 2011
4. Jefferson Davis Marker
Looking north at the marker across Central Drive (US 80) from the site of another marker titled "Jefferson Davis," number 087-3.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 489 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 14, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement