Paducah in McCracken County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Illinois Central 2613
Sponsored by Col. Wm. J. Ryan and Mrs. Bart Sullivan in Memory of Mr. & Mrs. Patrick H. Ryan
The Illinois Central Railroad Shops, located on Kentucky Avenue in Paducah, were built in 1927 for $6,000,000. At the peak, 1,447 workers were employed as this was one of the world's largest steam locomotive repair shop. In the late 1950's, the shops were converted to diesel re-manufacturing and repair, and in 1986 they were sold to a private investor. The name changed to VMV. Doing business with the U.S. and foreign railroads, VMV has made Paducahbuilt a byword in the industry. The General Purpose
Sponsored by VMV Enterprises, Inc. and Paducah & Louisville Railway, Inc.
Location. 37° 5.341′ N, 88° 35.675′ W. Marker is in Paducah, Kentucky, in McCracken County. Marker is at the intersection of North Water Street and Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling north on North Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Paducah KY 42001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Strawberry Capital of the World (here, next to this marker); Paducah 1937 Flood (a few steps from this marker); Broadway, Paducah's Main Street (a few steps from this marker); Barkley/Cobb Memorial (a few steps from this marker); The Telephone System (within shouting distance of this marker); Fire Station #5 at 17th and Broadway (within shouting distance of this marker); Flanking the Statue of Chief Paduke (within shouting distance of this marker); The August 8th Emancipation Celebration at Stuart Nelson Park (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paducah.
Also see . . . The Paducah Wall to Wall Floodwall Mural Project. Renowned artist Robert Dafford and his team of muralists capture Paducah’s rich history in paintings on the city’s floodwall overlooking the confluence of the Ohio and Tennessee Rivers. (Submitted on November 16, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2011, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 542 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 14, 2011, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.