Athens in McMinn County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
1913 - 2000
Bricks used on the inside wall came from the Grandview Hotel building (most commonly known as the “Red Elephant”). The Grandview Hotel located on Woodward Avenue in Athens was purchased by the college in 1889. The hotel burned in July of 1907.
Petty-Manker Hall was the second and most modern dormitory for men on the Tennessee Wesleyan College campus. On the ground floor a large dining hall was located that accommodated one hundred people. Petty-Manker Hall served as a menís dormitory until the 1970ís and thereafter was utilized in various ways.
Location. 35° 26.812′ N, 84° 35.571′ W. Marker is in Athens, Tennessee, in McMinn County. Marker can be reached from Green Street (Tennessee Route 30) south of Forrest Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 443 Green St, Athens TN 37303, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. The Nocatula Legend (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tennessee Wesleyan College (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battle of Athens (approx. 0.2 miles away); Samuel Cleage (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Tyler Morgan (approx. 1.1 miles away); Harry Thomas Burn (approx. 5.3 miles away); Niota Depot (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2011, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 454 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 16, 2011, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.